With this paper, Agora Verkehrswende comments on the planned revision of the CO2 emission performance standards for new passenger cars and for new light commercial vehicles in the European Union. Agora Verkehrswende identifies eight main findings:
- Tighten the CO2 limit value for 2030 considering values of up to 75 percent.
- Adjust the limit value for 2025 in view of the tightened value for 2030.
- Introduce limit value pathways over time after 2025.
- Introduce supplementary limit values for combustion cars only.
- Do not account for fuels in the legislation of cars.
- Make the emission levels for plug-in hybrid vehicles (PHEVs) more realistic in the short term and in the longer term.
- Drop the ZLEV factor.
- The CO2 emission standards for road vehicles must be complemented by energy efficiency standards at least for electric vehicles.